The Mirror of Manipur || Fast, Factual and Fearless.

Murder of 2 Tamil youths: Moreh people erupt in violent protest, attack Myanmar Army’s sentry 


Sec 144 clamped down on the whole Moreh town.  People in the Namphalone area came out and objected to the action of Moreh people. A clash ensued between them after they had a heated exchange leaving many injured. 

TFM Moreh Correspondent

Simmering tensions in Moreh town on India-Myanmar border following the brutal of murder of two Tamil youths at Tamu in Myanmar on Tuesday exploded into violence on Wednesday prompting the Tengnoupal District Magistrate to impose restrictions in whole Moreh town in in Moreh Sub Division under Section 144 of CrPC.

Angry people, who have been waiting to receive the bodies since morning, burned down one Myanmar Army’s sentry post on the border.

Two Tamil youths identified as L. Mohon (27 years) S/o. (L). Perumal Moreh Ward No. 2 Gamnom Veng and M Iyanar (28) s/o. (L). Murga from Moreh ward no. 4 Phaicham Veng were shot dead near a Buddhist Temple at Lay Ma Chao in Tamu town in Myanmar around 12.30 pm on Tuesday.  Their bodies were lying in the Tamu Hospital.

They had crossed the border to visit their friends in Tamu in Myanmar, which has been reeling under political turmoil under a military junta.

Following the murder, all community leaders in Moreh have pulling out all stops to retrieve the bodies on Tuesday itself but failed.

People in Moreh and All Moreh Auto Owners and Drivers Welfare Association members gathered at Sun Rise Ground and waited for the bodies since morning following the Myanmar authority’s assurance to hand over the bodies at 8 am on Wednesday.

Angry protesters burned down Myanmar Army’s sentry post on the border

However, the people got infuriated after they could not get the bodies till 2 pm. They stormed into Moreh police station demanding immediate recovery of the bodies.

Later they broke open the Indian border gate and rushed toward Namphalong market in Myanmar. They attacked the Myanmar Army Sentry Post with stones and set ablaze a bunker. Following the attack, people in the Namphalone area came out and objected to the action of the Moreh people. A clash ensued between them after they had a heated exchange. They pelted each other with stones.

In the clash, at least three people were injured on the Indian side. Though it is suspected that many might have been injured on the Myanmar side, the number of Myanmarese people wounded in the clash could not be ascertained.

Soon after getting the information about the clash, a CDO team led by Moreh Police OC Anand and 5 AR personnel led by CO Col Raza Israil rushed to the area and controlled the situation.

Meanwhile, people took out a peace rally in Moreh town demanding the Myanmar authority to hand over the bodies immediately. They held placards that read “We Want Peace”, “Stop Killing innocent people”, “Stop killing Indian citizen”.

Strongly condemning “the atrocity and terrorism perpetrated by the Myanmar military Government on innocent civilians”, all community leaders in Moreh submitted a memorandum to chief minister N Biren Singh urging him to initiate immediate necessary formalities with his counterpart in Myanmar to hand over the dead bodies

They also demanded ex-gratia to the bereaved families of both the victims “who are the sole bread earners of their respective families by driving autos”.

They gave 24-hour time to fulfil their demands, failing which they will be compelled to resort to any form of agitation, said the all-community leaders.

You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.