JFSA expressed gratitude to all the student bodies, CSOs, Meira Paibi groups, and local clubs of hills and valley who supported the total shutdown.
The 24-hour statewide total shutdown called by Justice for Sanaton Athokpam (JFSA) affected normal life across the state. Major markets — Khwairamband Keithel, Paona Bazar, and Thangal Bazar, in the capital city were closed and the streets wore a deserted look. The total shutdown which ended at 6 pm on Tuesday went off without any reports of untoward incidents.
Bishnupur, Moirang, Wangoo, Kakching, Wangoi Bazar, Singjamei, Pangei Bazar, Lamlong Bazar, Namdunlong, Khurai Ahongei, Noney, Tamenglong, amongst others were mainly affected by the total shutdown. Roads were also blocked by the volunteers in other places as well.
Several student bodies, CSOs, Meira Paibi groups and local clubs also supported the total shutdown.
A rally was taken out at Noney Bazar demanding justice for Sanaton Athokpam. At Tamenglong, bandh volunteers stopped passenger buses and deflated the tyres.
Manipur police kept vigil during the total shutdown to prevent any untoward incidents.
Meanwhile, JFSA in a release on Tuesday expressed appreciation and gratitude to all the student bodies, CSOs, Meira Paibi groups, and local clubs of hills and valley who supported the total shutdown. It also said that JFSA will continue to agitate along with the people until the truth and facts about the death are not found.
JFSA had been demanding the government to take action on several points:
1. Though a written application for registration of FIR was submitted on the same day Sanaton Athokpam was found dead with his hands tied behind his back at Casualty Ward of RIMS, it is not yet done. FIR should be registered immediately without further delay.
2. Hostel warden of Sanaton should be subjected to interrogation for leads into the murder.
3. RIMS director and dean (Academics) should be suspended immediately for dereliction of duty and for ensuring fair investigation.
4. The magisterial enquiry has long crossed its allotted time. Its reports and relevant documents should be provided to the family and JFSA immediately.
5. All culprits involved in the murder of Sanaton Athokpam should be apprehended immediately.
A medical student of RIMS, Sanaton Athokpam of Khurai Thangjam Leikai was allegedly found dead in his hostel room on March 15. The state government had set up a magisterial enquiry to investigate the death.