Central Forces such as Assam Rifles, CRPF, BSF, Jat Regiment, Cumaon Regiment, Sikh Regiment, Maha Regiment etc are deployed to curb violence. Despite their presence, the killing of civilians have not stopped till date, says YFPHR.
Youth’s Forum for Protection of Human Rights (YFPHR) said it strongly believed that all the killing of civilians and attack on unarmed civilians in Manipur are taking place right under the nose of over 60,000 central forces who are deployed to contain the ethnic violence unleashed by Kuki Militants.
YFPHR in a press note issued by secretary T Shadishkanta, also gave the details of prominent attacks as follows stating that these attacks took place “right in front” of central forces who are deployed to curb the violence.
1. On the 05/08/2023, three unarmed civilians villagers, including a father and a son, were brutally murdered in cold blood by Kuki militants at Kwakta Lamkhai Ward No VIII, Bishnupur district under the nose of the Assam Rifles posted to prevent the violence.
2. On the 08/09/2023, a 15-year-old girl was injured when Kuki militants indiscriminately fired at the village in Koutruk. The militants reportedly launched the attack from three sides atop Koutruk Hill. BSF personnel are deployed in this area.
3. On the 17/11/2023, Khwairakpam ningol Leichonbam ongbi Ibemcha who was shot by Kuki militants from Kangchup Hills on the morning of November 7 succumbed to her injuries around 1.35 pm at RIMS hospital on Friday i.e 17th November 2023. The area under attack comes under zones covered by Assam Rifles and CRPF.
4. On the 10/01/2024, four unarmed persons who went to collect the firewood were killed at Haotak Village of Bishnupur District. Maha Regiment is Deployed there to protect the civilians.
5. On the 18/01/2024, four villagers including a father-son duo were killed in cold blood at Ningthoukhong Kha Khunou Maning under Bishnupur Police station. The zone is under Sikh Regiment deployed to curb the violence.
“The above cited incidents are just the tips of the iceberg while the missing civilians, shooting at civilians etc are witnessed in various places such as Leitanpokpi, Kwakta, Moirang, and other places which left many civilians injured. In all these places, the Central Forces such as Assam Rifles, CRPF, BSF, Jat Regiment, Cumaon Regiment, Sikh Regiment, Maha Regiment etc are fully deployed to curb the violence, however, beside their presence the killing of civilians have not stopped till date. This clearly indicates that the Central Forces are in nexus with the Kuki Militants under strict guidance of the Government of India to continue the violence in Manipur having their economic interest”, alleges YFPHR.
YFPHR has asked the Government of India to respect the “Indigenous Peoples’ Right to Life and Self Determination; Stop the killing of civilians immediately and punish the killers; Withdraw Central Armed Forces from Manipur and Stop Militarisation”.
FOR ALL UPDATES AND LATEST PLEASE, FOLLOW TFM SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS