In a statement broadcast on Myanmar’s Popular News Channel, General Zaw Min Htun said after unclaimed and unidentified bodies with gunshot injuries were found at Tamu Township on July 5, they were disposed of through burning the next day at 7 am .
By SP Singh, TFM Moreh Correspondent
When Indian authorities claimed that they are communicating with Myanmarese counterparts to bring back bodies of two Tamil youths who were gunned down at Tamu Town in Sagaing Region on the Indo-Myanmar Border on Tuesday, Myanmar Military Council Information Deputy Minister General Zaw Min Htun on Friday said that two bodies suspected to be two Tamil youths were declared unclaimed and disposed of.
Two Tamil youths identified as L. Mohon (28 years) S/o. (L). Perumal and M Iyanar (35) s/o. (L). Murga, both from Moreh Town in Manipur’s Tengnopal District, were gunned down near School no.4 at Saw Bwar Inn Ward in Tamu Town, Sagaing Region on the Indo-Myanmar Border around 1 pm on Tuesday.
In a statement broadcast on Myanmar’s Popular News Channel, General Zaw Min Htun said after unclaimed and unidentified bodies with gunshot injuries were found at Tamu Township on July 5. They were disposed of through burning the next day at 7 am on July 6, he added.
Following the development, leaders of CSOs in Moreh held an emergency meeting at 3.30 pm at the Conference Hall of Tamil Sangam, Moreh to placate the simmering tension in the border town. After discussing the situation in detail, CSOs’ leaders decided to urge the families of two deceased to perform the last rites as per their religious practices as chances of getting the bodies back look bleak.
CSOs also resolved to ensure that minister for TA & Hill Letpao Haokip, who is the local MLA and chief minister N Biren provide a suitable government job to one family member of the victims on humanitarian ground as both the victims were the sole bread earners of their respective family.
CSOs also decided to resume normal business by opening all shops which remained shut since brutal murder of two Indian in Myanmar side. However, the people must adhere to a travel advisory issued by the Tengnoupal DC. Those, who defy the advisory, shall be personally responsible in the event of any untoward incident, they said.
Citing the prevailing law and order situation in Myanmar, Tengnoupal District Deputy Commissioner Mannuamching (IAS) issued the advisory on Thursday urging all inhabitants of Moreh and surrounding villages and all visitors to Moreh are hereby advised not to venture to Myanmar side without proper documents/permits from concerned authorities.
Earlier in the day, the Manipur government officials led by Tengnoupal DC Mannuamching (IAS) and Moreh-based CSOs’ leaders met the victims’ families.
The Tengnoupal DC told the family that no response has been received so far from the Myanmar authority despite the written requests to hand over bodies of two Indians killed in Myanmar. The Indian Government will pursue the matter till the bodies are brought back, she added. She promised to extend all possible help to the victims’ families.
After meeting victims’ families, leaders of Tamil Sangam, Meitei Council Moreh, Hill Tribal Council, All Community Development Organisation, Manipuri Muslim Council Moreh and Gurkha Samaj held a meeting at the Conference Hall of Tamil Sangam Moreh.
The meeting was attended by Mannuamching (IAS/DC-Tengnoupal), Ningshen Worngam (IPS/DIG Range-II INT/NAB), Golianmang (IPS/SP-Tengnoupal), Krishnatombi (MPS/SP Special Commando Unit) S Somorjit Singh (MPS/CO 3/IRB), Kh Sarat Singh (MPS/SDPO Moreh) and O/C Anand (Moreh PS).
In the meeting, the leaders urged the officials to find out whether the bodies were disposed of or not. They also urged the officials to do all needful to bring back the bodies and extend help to victims’ families.