According to the doctors, the initial investigation in the emergency room reported that the foreign body was in the duodenum. The patient was immediately prepared for an endoscopic intervention
A team of Shija Hospitals & Research Institute (SHRI)’s doctors has successfully removed a six-centimetre-long hairpin stuck in small intestine of a two-and-half-year-old baby girl.
The girl accidentally swallowed the metallic hairpin while playing at home around 11:30 am on May 23, 2022. The frantic parents rushed her to one hospital after another in the city with complaints of sore throat. One of the hospitals recommended surgeries to remove the foreign body. However, the parents did not want to cut open her stomach and remove it surgically. So, they hurried her to SHRI at 6:40 pm.
According to the doctors, the initial investigation in the emergency room reported that the foreign body was in the duodenum. The patient was immediately prepared for an endoscopic intervention.
A team led by Dr. Chandragupta Chongtham (General and Laparoscopic Surgeon) and Dr. Kennedy Taiyenjam (Consultant – Anaesthesiologist) conducted the endoscopic foreign body removal procedure under general anaesthesia. During the procedure, the foreign body (approximately 6 cm long) was noted in the duodenum (D2 and D3 junction).
Doctors said the process of retrieving the hair pin was a complex task, as securing the hair pin with endoscopic forceps was tough. With due consideration of the risk involved, the team carefully but gradually retrieved it out of harm’s way. The patient’s condition gradually improved with the treatment provided and was discharged from the hospital the next day (May 24th, 2022) in good physical condition.
The ecstatic parents expressed deep gratitude to the treating team, Shija hospital, and the entire staff. He lauded staff’s expertise and the hospital’s cutting-edge equipment.